Experts from the Coma and Disorders of Consciousness Research Centre can provide full day or half-day training in:
- Prolonged disorders of consciousness: legal and ethical issues
- Family experience and practitioner-family communication
- The Mental Capacity Act 2005 and Best Interests Decision-making
- Advance Decisions, LPAs and Welfare Deputies
- The Role of Allied Health Professionals – the challenges of the vegetative and minimally conscious state (physios, SLTs, OTs)
- The Role of Psychologists – End of life care and decision-making
- Continuing and withdrawing life extending treatment – the legal framework in practice in England and Wales
We provide training to a wide range of health care professionals (from critical care to neurorehab) and have conducted sessions for the Court of Protection Practitioners Association, psychologists working with older people and/or in end of life care, IMCAs, case managers, clinical ethicists, and with multi-disciplinary teams in hospitals, rehab centres and care homes both in the UK and internationally.
As well as delivering face-to-face training we’ve developed an online learning resource for staff. There are two versions: (1) for pre-registration health care professionals (used at Cardiff University for inter professional education) & (2) for professionals already in practice and seeking Continuing Professional Development (see e-learning) – and we run this as a curated six week course for staff to sign up to.
“I’ve been qualified as an Occupational Therapist for 20 years and have a great deal of experience working with those in PDOC. It is incredible to have a resource that not only serves to inform and aid students and newly qualified staff but that provides a current knowledge base to ensure more experienced staff are up-to-date and can be confident in this field. The resource is interactive, engaging and easy to follow. To have a resource of this quality and detail is fantastically important for ongoing development and learning for staff of all grades.” (Suzi Kerrell-VaughanMidlands Regional Lead, Specialist OT)
Get in touch with us if you would like to know more. For further information about training contact email@example.com